We were so touched by Mathew Boudreaux’s post on Instagram (@MisterDomestic) about Pride month being the month of June. In his post he told us that at least a few times a month he is contacted by either an LGBTQ+ youth or parent of one to let him know how he has positively impacted them by just living his life proudly and truthfully. What really caught our attention is this statistic: LGBTQ+ youth are 3 to 5 times higher in either contemplating or attempting suicide. We knew we wanted to do something.
The good people at the Trevor Project do life-saving work. The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25. We decided to auction our brand new Brimfield Block Tula Pink De La Luna Quilt and donate all the proceeds to the Trevor Project.
Here’s a little back story behind this quilt.
We were so fortunate to get our hands on Tula Pink’s De La Luna fabric from the awesome folks at Free Spirit Fabrics prior to its release.
We immediately knew that our original Brimfield Block would be the perfect frame for those De La Luna sisters’ cameos. So off we went, planning our fussy cuts (and can we just say Tula makes the *best* fussy cuttable fabric?) and glue basting fabric to our paper templates.
We enlisted the help of one our friend, Jessica Lopez (@thegorillaandthepig on Insta), to hand stitch allllllll the Brimfield Block EPP rings (man, she’s quick!)
When it came time to pick a background fabric, we decided that Tula’s solids were definitely the answer, but which one? As it turns out, there isn’t a lot of yellow in this collection. So “pear” worked out perfectly, allowing for a bright contrast to the darker, moody colors of the fabrics that does these sisters proper justice!
For the backing fabric we used Tula’s Pom Poms in “fern” from her All Stars collection. For the binding we went with the Tent Stripe in “iris”, also from the All Stars collection.
At International Quilt Market in Portland, our friends at Paper Pieces had their Baby Brimfield Block quilt quilted by Teresa Villa (@quiltingismybliss on Insta.) When they showed us her work, we knew we wanted to work with her on a quilt, too! We’ll let the pictures speak to her custom long arm work. Isn’t it stunning?
The auction for our Brimfield Block Tula De La Luna Quilt is being held on Instagram account @BrimfieldAwakening. It starts Wednesday morning 6.20.18 and will end at 11pm EST Friday 6.22.18.
- There is some small print. This quilt will not be shipped to the winning bidder until after International Quilt Market in November.
- Between now and that time, this quilt will be used for a few trunk shows and be on display during Quilt Week in Paducah and at International Quilt Market in Houston. The winning bidder acknowledges that they will not receive possession of the quilt until after International Quilt Market in Houston and by November 15, 2018.
- You must pay within 24 hours of auction close.
- Shipping for the US is free, and Brimfield Awakening will cover 50% of the shipping costs internationally.
- Bidding starts at $230 USD.
- Winning bidder will direct message @BrimfieldAwakening in Instagram with their name, address, and PayPal email address so we may invoice you.
If you would like to make a contribution to The Trevor Project, you can click here.